The start of a new year is a great time to review your health insurance plan and make sure you’re getting the most out of it. Here are a few tips to help you maximize your coverage and save money on healthcare costs in the coming year:
- Understand your plan: Make sure you know what your plan covers and what it doesn’t. Review your policy and understand what your out-of-pocket maximum is, as well as your deductible, copayments, coinsurance, and referral requirements.
- Take advantage of preventive care: Health insurance plans cover preventive care services, such as vaccinations, screenings, and check-ups, at no additional cost. Taking advantage of these services can help you stay healthy and catch any potential health problems early on.
- Use in-network providers: When possible, choose providers that are in your insurance plan’s network. This will help you avoid higher out-of-pocket costs.
- Ask for generic drugs: Whenever possible, ask your doctor for a generic version of a medication. These are often cheaper than brand-name drugs and are just as effective.
- Take advantage of discounts and wellness programs: Many insurance plans offer discounts or incentives for healthy behaviors, such as quitting smoking or losing weight. Look into these programs and take advantage of them when possible.
- Shop around: Before you schedule a medical procedure or test, check prices at different providers. Prices can vary widely, so it pays to shop around.
- Take advantage of telemedicine: Telemedicine is becoming more popular, and this is a great way to access medical care without leaving your home. Many insurance plans now cover telemedicine visits, so take advantage of this option whenever possible.
By following these tips, you can help ensure that you’re getting the most out of your health insurance plan and saving money on healthcare costs in the coming year. It’s always a good idea to review your plan regularly and feel free to contact me with any questions you may have. You can learn more about the Employee Advocate services provided, here.