With the cold weather upon us, another healthy soup recipe! It’s an easy to quickly make after work and then enjoy for the rest of the week.
- olive oil
- 2, 28 oz. cans of tomatoes (whole peeled, diced or chopped work well)
- 2 medium onions
- 4 medium carrots
- 4 medium celery stalks
- 4 garlic cloves
- bay leaf
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 cup milk or cream
- handful of fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat over to 450 and line a large baking sheet with foil.
- Drain tomatoes, reserving juice to use later.
- Spread tomatoes on baking sheet and add 4 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon salt and 1 tablespoon pepper. Coat tomatoes evenly and bake for 20 minutes, or until tomatoes have begun to caramelize.
- Roughly chop onions, carrots, celery and garlic. Put into a food processor and pulse a few times until you have small pieces.
- Heat 4 tablespoons olive oil in a dutch oven/large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add vegetables to pot, heavily season with salt and pepper and stir frequently for 10-15 minutes, or until vegetables have softened and are golden brown.
- Add caramelized tomatoes to pot, mix with vegetables and stir frequently for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add reserved tomato juice, bay leaf and stock and continue to cook over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Cook for 20 minutes, or until soup has begun to thicken. Remove from heat and discard bay leaf.
- Add milk and handful of basil and stir until combined.
- Taste and add additional salt and pepper if necessary.
- Blend until smooth with hand blender.
- Serve with fresh bread, Parmesan cheese and olive oil.