This recipe is from EatingWell… a favorite of mine for quick and healthy recipes! I made this last week and served along side the homemade bread we made during out weekly team get together.
Learn more about the bread baking recipe and our fun photos can be found here – Acadia Benefits Bread Baking!
- 2 T olive oil, divided
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 t dried oregano or thyme/divided
- 1 1/4 t t salt, divided
- 3/4 t ground pepper, divided
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 2/3 cup orzo
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- Heat 1 T oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add chicken sprinkled with 1/2 t each of oregano, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until light browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove chicken from pot and set aside.
- Add 1 T oil to pot with onions, carrots and celery. Cook, scraping up brown bits, until the vegetables are soft and browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, bay leaf and 1/2 t oregano and cook until fragrant, another 30 to 60 seconds.
- Add broth and bring to a boil. Add orzo and reduce heat so soup simmers. Cook and cover for 5 minutes. Add kale and chicken back to the pot. Continue cooking until orzo is tender and the chicken is cooked through, another 5 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and discard bay leaf. Stir in lemon juice, zest and 3/4 t salt and 1/4 t pepper.