A hearty, classic dish that is quick to make and cooks right in the sauce. A satisfying and comforting meal that can be stored in the fridge and easily heat-up.
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1lb lean ground beef, turkey or chicken
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 t paprika
- 1 t Italian seasoning
- 1 can low sodium diced tomatoes (14 oz.)
- 1 can low sodium tomato sauce (8 oz.)
- 1 cup low sodium broth/stock (chicken, beef or veggie)
- 1 1/4 c whole-wheat elbow macaroni
- 1 t salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- Parmesan cheese
- Heat a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high head.
- Add oil until shimmering, then add onion and beef.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, or until no longer pink. Use a wooden spoon to break up the meat during cooking.
- Add garlic, paprika, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to pan. Stir and cook for another minute.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and broth. Bring to a boil and stir for a minute.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add pasta and stir occasionally. Cook until pasta is al dente, according to box instructions.
- Remove from heat and let stand for a few minutes.
- Add Parmesan cheese if desired.