An easy, healthy, weeknight meal is a priority for my family. We started making this soup recently, and it’s been a hit! With two small children, we cool the soup, cut into small pieces, and serve it as is to them. Then my wife and I add our favorite toppings, and we all enjoy dinner together!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 jar salsa verde
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sweet potato (cut into small dice or sliced thinly)
- 1/2 lime, squeezed
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- toppings of your choice (mine include cilantro, avocado, and pepper flakes)
- Put chicken breasts and the jar of salsa in a large stockpot or dutch oven.
- Cover the pot and cook on medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees (for the tortillas.)
- Remove the chicken and let cool.
- Add the broth, sweet potato, lime juice, and cilantro, to the pot.
- Shred the chicken and add it back into the soup.
- Cook over low heat for 10-15 minutes, until the sweet potato is tender.
- While the soup is cooking, prepare the baked tortillas.
- Slice tortillas into quarters and place on a baking sheet.
- Spray or brush the tortillas with olive oil, and season with salt.
- Cook tortillas for 5-10 minutes, until golden brown.
- Once the soup is ready, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add soup to individual bowls and add your favorite toppings.
- Serve with baked tortillas.
The full recipe, along with other healthy ideas, can be found here.