It’s that time of the year when soup for dinner is a weekly staple in our house. This recipe is easy to prepare after work and you can clean out your fridge and panty with items to top the soup with!
Ingredients – Serves 6
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 scallions, thinly slice the white and light green parts
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 4 roma tomatoes, cut into large dice
- 2 T cumin
- the juice from 1 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
Optional toppings include:
- diced avocado
- grilled corn
- diced tomato
- thinly sliced onion or scallions
- tortilla chips
- shredded cheese
- cotija cheese
- lime wedges
- roughly chopped cilantro
- sour cream
- In a large Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add scallions and sauté until translucent.
- Add jalapeno and sauté 1-2 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté 30 seconds.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Add chicken and reduce heat to a low simmer. Stir soup occasionally and remove chicken once cooked through, 10-12 minutes.
- Prepare your optional toppings while chicken is cooking.
- Remove chicken, place in a bowl and let cool.
- Add tomatoes, cumin and lime juice to the soup. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once chicken is safe to handle, shred with two forks. Add chicken, and any juices from the bowl, back into the soup.
- Cook soup for another 5-7 minutes.
- Check again for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle soup into bowls and add toppings.