Skip the take-out and make this easy chicken fried rice at home. It’s a simple weeknight dinner that’s budget-friendly and a real crowd-pleaser! I found a similar recipe on Pinterest and after some tweaks, made it my own.
- 3 cups cooked jasmine rice preferably leftover rice (brown rice works well too.)
- 1 rotisserie chicken, diced into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 eggs
- 3 1/2 tablespoons tamari (gluten-free) or low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter to the pan.
- Cook the onions, carrots, and peas until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook one more minute.
- Push the veggies aside, and scramble the eggs on the empty side of the pan.
- Stir everything together, and add the last tablespoon of butter to the pan.
- Add the rice, green onions, soy sauce, and chicken and combine.
- Allow the rice to “fry” and get a little toasty by leaving it alone for a minute.
- Stir again, and allow the rice to crisp up again.
- Turn off the heat, and add the sesame oil.
- Stir to combine.
- Serve immediately.