I have been making these for years… a staple in our house! You can substitute tofu for the chicken and make it gluten-free by using romaine lettuce instead of bread. For the quick pickled vegetables, use whatever you have available to you. Onions, cabbage, celery and cauliflower all work well here.
- 1 baguette (a softer bread works well here, avoid something that has a crispy crust)
- 1 lb of cooked, shredded chicken (perfect for leftover chicken or a rotisserie chicken)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 T low-sodium soy sauce
- 4 t sesame oil
- 4 t hoisin sauce
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- 1 cup matchstick or thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup thinly sliced radish
- 2 cups thinly sliced cucumber
- Romaine lettuce
- Sriracha (any hot sauce that you like!)
- Pickled jalapenos
- Cut bread in half and remove inside of bread to hollow out. Cut bread into 4 sandwiches.
- Add garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil and hoisin to a mixing bowl. Mix together and toss with shredded chicken. Set aside.
- Heat sugar and rice vinegar in a small saucepan over medium low hear until sugar dissolves. Turn off the heat.
- Put cut vegetables into a shallow dish and pour sugar/vinegar mixture over. Toss to coat and let cool for minutes.
- Assemble the sandwiches. Put the romaine lettuce and cucumbers on the bottom half of the bread. Top with chicken, other vegetables, cilantro and pickled jalapenos. Drizzle the vinegar mixture from the vegetables and sriracha on the top half of the bread.